Dog cones or e-collars may not get much love from dogs or their owners, but they play a very important role. The last thing you want is your dog licking wounds or scratching at stitches after surgery. Dog cones can be costly and you may not always have one handy when you need it. If this happens to you, a DIY, homemade dog cone will serve the same purpose.
Let’s look at a few types of homemade dog cone alternatives you can make at home.
1. Homemade Towel Dog Cone
Use these simple steps to make your towel dog cone.
- You will need a thick towel and some duct tape
- The size of the towel you’ll need will depend on the size of your dog. For small dogs, a thick hand towel might suffice, while large dogs will need a larger towel.
- Place the towel on a flat surface and fold it lengthwise three or four times to make a thick scarf.
- Have some treats on hand to help in getting your dog to stand still as you apply the collar. Ideally, you should have someone giving the dog treats as you wrap the towel cone around his neck.
- Wind the towel slowly around the dog’s neck, making sure that it is not too tight. The cone should allow your dog to breathe and eat comfortably without choking.
- Once you have wrapped the length of the towel around the dog’s neck, secure it in place with duct tape. Place duct tape at both ends and in the middle of the towel.
- Make sure the cone is not too tight by placing your hand between your dog’s neck and the towel cone.
- Monitor the towel daily. If it becomes loose, just untie it and tie it afresh. Also, change it when it starts to get dirty.
2. Homemade Pool Noodle Dog Cone
This is one of the most comfortable dog cones you can improvise at home. The soft material of a pool noodle is light and will not weigh down your dog’s neck. It’s also easy to put together using the following steps.
- You will need a pool noodle and a length of strong twine.
- Take the pool noodle and cut it into small sections of about 2 inches. If you have a small dog, you can cut the pool noodle into 1.5-inch sections.
- Measure out the length of twine that you will thread through the cut sections of the pool needle to make your dog cone. To get the right length of twine, place it around your dog’s neck, then add 6-7 inches to the circumference and cut the twine at that length.
- Thread the twine through the noodles. You should have enough noodles to cover the circumference of the dog’s neck with small spaces between them.
- Loop the noodles around your dog’s neck. Knot the twine securely, but make sure it’s not too tight.
3. Homemade Bucket Cone Collar
If your dog is rambunctious and you feel that you need a sturdier homemade dog cone than the towel or pool noodle cones, try the homemade bucket cone collar.
- You will need a bucket or plastic flower pot, depending on the size of your dog.
- Measure the circumference of your dog’s neck and use that as a guideline to cut a neck hole on the bottom of the bucket or plastic flower pot.
- The hole you cut for the neck should be slightly wider than the actual circumference of your dog’s neck.
- Once you’ve made the hole, cover the edges with masking tape to make the edges smooth and comfortable for the dog to wear.
- Poke small holes along the circumference of the neck hole you made. Thread a piece of twine through these holes and leave the ends dangling.
- Make sure the cone is short enough for the dog to see, eat and drink comfortably. If it is too long, cut it down or find a smaller plastic container to use.
- Slip the cone slowly over your dog's head, and secure it to your dog's collar with the loose ends of twine.