It is perfectly safe and healthy for dogs to eat oatmeal. Fiber-rich and full of nutrients, oatmeal is a regular on many breakfast tables. Finding human foods that we can share with our dogs is not always easy since they are not always safe or healthy for dogs. Fortunately, oatmeal is one of the human foods you can share with your dog without any worries.
How to Feed Oatmeal to Your Dog
Oatmeal is a great source of fiber for dogs and can make a healthy addition to your dog’s diet. However, before you fill up your dog’s feeding bowl, here are some things you should know about feeding oatmeal to your dog.
What Can You Add to Your Dog’s Oatmeal
While sugar is a no-no for your dog’s oatmeal, this does not necessarily mean oatmeal has to be bland. Here are some great, healthy additions you can use to make your dog’s oatmeal tastier and healthier.
Health Benefits of Oatmeal for Dogs
We all know that oatmeal is healthy for humans, but do you know how feeding oatmeal to your dog can benefit them?
Can You Feed Your Dog Oatmeal Every Day
Do not feed oatmeal to your dog daily. Aim for once or twice a week, as this is sufficient for your dog to benefit from the healthy properties of oatmeal.
Oatmeal should be fed to dogs in moderation to avoid possible side effects including
Other Human Foods That are Good for Dogs
Here is a list of other healthy human foods that are safe for dogs if given in moderation.
- 1Plain yogurt is high in protein and calcium. Always choose natural yogurt that is free from artificial flavors, added sugar or preservatives.
- 2Chicken is a good source of protein for dogs. Always cook chicken before feeding it to your dog, as raw meat exposes your dog to infections.
- 3Pumpkin is a great source of fiber and nutrients for dogs. Adding a few tablespoons of pureed pumpkin to your dog’s food promotes good digestion and adds nutrients to their diet.
- 4Green beans are rich in iron and essential vitamins that are good for your dog’s health. Use green beans that have not been salted as excessive salt is not good for your dog.
- 5Eggs are a good source of protein and can be added to your dog’s diet. However, do not feed your dog raw eggs, as they may cause bacterial infections.